Friday, September 25, 2009

What a Week!

What a week! I am so very, over tired. I need sleep. I need Livi to sleep. I need to sleep without being hyper sensitive to how she is breathing. I need to relax. I need to not dream. I need to fall asleep at a reasonable hour. I need to sleep!

I guess the business started a while ago already. I had been working so much a few weeks ago. Then within these last two week I went to a couple of different community events... Eat! Fraser Valley, a Mother Mother concert at a bar at UBC (dancing with all the college kids made me feel old!), the Cloverdale Kids Swap, and the MCC Fair! I also made it to a baby shower, a birthday party, and a play date. I hosted dinner once and made it to both of Livi's music and movement classes so far! Wow, busy weeks! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Livi is sick and I am so tired!

Monday morning Livi woke up with a cough. It wasn't anything that we were to concerned about though. Just an occasional bark. But lunch time though, she had spiked a high fever. She was up to nearly 39 degrees, under arm! We were able to keep it down in the moderate range though. That night she started having coughing attacks that made her throw up. She has never been a very pukey baby so it scared her. She cried a lot. My poor baby! My mom thought it sounded like croup, so we did all the home remedies that we could come up with.

Livi improved. Tuesday she still had a few coughing attacks but only a low grade to moderate fever. Wednesday she was well enough to go to music class and stop by some friends house for an impromptu play date. Thursday things started going south again though. Her cough came back with a vengeance and her fever was creeping up again.

Thursday was also the day that my Grandpa ended up in the emergency room. I ended up going to the hospital to make sure Grandma was doing okay. My uncle was there and very attentive to Grandpa, but I wanted to make sure Grandma had some one to support her and make sure she had eaten and was taking care of herself. My Grandpa is a very wonderful, stubborn, Mennonite man who always denies his pain and doesn't take help from family or medical professionals well. My uncle ended up having to insist he let himself be taken to the ER. It is a good thing too. He will be staying there for the next week.

Today was just as busy. I took my Grandma to the hospital, had a much needed hair appointment, stayed with Livi who wasn't napping because her cough kept waking her up while Jon went to two appointments, then we took Livi to the doctors. Livi was diagnosed with brochiolitis, also known as baby asthma. She has been put on some inhalers and she should be feeling better in a few days. She will get over this, although she may have more flare ups in the next year or so. This also may mean that she is more prone to developing regular asthma when she is older. I'm praying this doesn't happen.

Livi was so tired today but couldn't sleep, so she was miserable... which in turn made Mommy and Daddy miserable. I feel so helpless when she is sick... okay, I don't have much experience with it. This is only the third time she has been sick. She is very easy going generally and also handles being sick pretty well. I still know she is feeling miserable though. She has been very cuddly but restless and whiny. I don't know how to help her. She is so upset and scared when she is having a cough attack and can't breath properly. Consequently, I haven't been sleeping well because I am hyper sensitive to every noise she makes. I know she won't just stop breathing but the idea still freaks me out. Since I'm hyper sensitive, I don't think I'm allowing my body to go in to a proper deep sleep and have been having a lot of dreams and nightmares. Did I mention I was tired?

We don't have anything planned for tomorrow. I cancelled the family photo's we were going to have taken by a friend of mine so we can concentrate on getting Livi healthy and myself rested. Red puffy eyes don't lend to nice photos. Well, I think it is safe for me to go to bed now. Livi hasn't woken up in the last half hour and it isn't too early to try and sleep anymore. Goodnight! I know my last few posts have been wordy, so for those of you who only look at my blog to see pictures of Livi, I'll try and post a few pictures tomorrow.

3 comments:

LeAnna (and David) said...

I'll be praying she feels better soon. So scary sounding!

Anonymous said...

Cool people have asthma...they can sound like Darth Vadar.
V

Gwyn's Adventures said...

hopefullly your over the worst of it now and you guys can catch up on your sleep. must be so anxious when your baby is sick and that helpless feeling. your mommy, super woman, suposed to be able to conquer everything...;)