Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mexico - First Half

Day 1 -

We started out bright and early on the 31st at 4am to catch a 6:55am flight. Thankfully, my husband has a wonderful job with perks that allowed us to get a room at the airport Fairmont hotel for a crazy good price! We stayed there for the night so we didn't have to get the kids up any earlier than we needed to. So glad we did this by the way!

The girls did A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.! It was a 5 hour flight and they were great! Livi had a few grumpy spells but no melt downs all day! Sofie even had an hour nap on the plane! Yay! I was sure she would be up the whole time. Funny what a little security and love will do for a kid :) She was ridiculously overstimulated by all the travel. I haven't seen her rock that much since the first few weeks we had her but she coped and even depended on us to help her cope a bit! She obviously felt safe enough to sleep this time! She was smiles the whole way except when we where walking through the airports and had to hold her. She didn't like that. When we got to the resort Jon stayed in the room with her to give her some down time and she was ready to go for the evening.

On the plane

On the bus

I took Livi swimming right away and I'm sure she is going to live there for the entire week. There is a kids pool right outside our room (just past the bar for Mommy!) that is about 2 feet deep and she is totally safe in it. I can hang out on the side tanning (and drinking)! There was tons of food for dinner at the buffet we went too and the kids went to bed soon after! Our room has a door separating us from Jon's mom's room which is perfect for putting the girls to sleep. We put them down and now I'm in Mom's room, with the in-between door open, typing and watching TV!

I don't think I'm going to even try to stay up until midnight so Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for being a part of our community this past year! I can't wait to see what this year brings for us and all of you!

Day 2 -

Today started nicely with everyone waking up around 8am. We went for breakfast then took the girls to the beach for what, I'm ashamed to admit, was both of their first times! (I know, a tragedy since we live on the west coast.) It was so fun to hear their delighted screams as each wave hit their feet. Sofie LOVED it and kept signing for more and more and more! Livi, of course was covered in sand as soon as we set foot on the beach. She was delighted. Her Gramma took her in to the waves a bit too. She clung on for dear life but had fun! She was wearing a life jacket, don't worry! Sofie and I sat at on the beach enjoying each wave wash up on to our legs. She squealed with delight too... after the initial “what the heck is this?”

Sandy

I love these feet! 

Holding on to Daddy for "safety"

My loves. 

Having way too much fun!

We went to a bit of a family meeting/church service and then had lunch. Jon's mom has been awesome and helping us every step of the way with anything we need for the kids! I recommend travelling with a Grandma on every family vacation! Livi thoroughly enjoyed all her “Big Girl” drinks that looked a lot like adult drinks all day :) I even had to taste the difference once because they were both pink and I needed to make sure I wasn't handing her the drink with tequila in it!

After lunch Jon took Sofie for a nap and I took Livi back to the pool. She could live in the pool. I had one moment of sadness when I watched a pair of Grandpas, who happened to each have special needs sons, be really sweet with their own grandsons and Livi. I couldn't help but shed a small tear wishing Jon's dad was here to play with his two grand-babies. He would have made such an EXCELLENT Grandpa. He should have been here.

I also watched Livi try to make friends. It was so hard not to step in and help her out. There was another family with girls who were all older than her. They had each other to play with so I watched Livi follow them around and try to start a conversation a few times but get shot down. When the older girls left she did make friends with the younger girl and played for quite awhile. After they left she tried to befriend a few other kids who didn't speak English. Despite her best efforts “Hi! My name is Livi. What is your name?”, they were confused. It is hard watching your kid trying to make friends! I don't think her feelings got hurt or anything but she just didn't know what to do and she was trying so hard. I'm not entirely sure what is age appropriate here but, man! it is so difficult to be a mom sometimes!

I went back to the room to check on Jon with Sofie and have a short nap. Jon went out and hang out with Livi. I think she was in the pool for a good 3 hours. We finally made her come out when her teeth were chattering :) She was not happy about it. Jon and her had a shower and then some quiet time. Sofie woke up shortly after. I miss calculated the time though. She had a late nap and slept until after 5. We are two hours ahead here and I thought it was 3pm.

Dinner at sunset

We went for dinner overlooking the beach at sunset. Life doesn't get better than that people! Since Sofie was rearing to go, we got to got to Opa's slide show that was being held after their bed time. He likes to provide picture slide shows for each family reunion and this year was no exception. This year was pretty funny though. There was a lack of pictures the youngest daughter before she was at least 30, while there where probably over 50 pictures of the oldest son! Our wedding pictures were missing but there were numerous pictures of Livi and one of Sofie to make up for it, while numerous grand-kids were missing! It made me laugh. I was super impressed by Opa's new-found ability to use power point though! I think that makes it up there with my Grandma on Facebook!

The kids were so tired and went to sleep, nearly right away! Now I'm sipping my third pina colada in the last hour, listening to my husband's synopsis of “Bonk - The Currious Coupling of Science and Sex” by Mary Roach, waiting for a massage. Pretty sure my life is awesome.

Update- It is 10:30pm. A little imp just closed the door on us. We would have been locked out if Jon had not had a key on him. I ran in through the front door to find a very proud, naked Sofie. My kids are awesome. Sofie had got out of her playpen, taken off her clothes and come to close the door.... oh wait.... that was two times! The second time she was a ninja and did it silently with Jon in the room! Okay, bed time now.

Day 3 -

Well it was a rough night but the girls slept in. We met Lisa and Tony for breakfast then joined most of our immediate family at the beach for fun! Livi was, of course, drenched in sand the moment we stepped foot on it. My goodness that girl had fun! Gramma and I took Livi in to the waves and she had a blast being thrown around by them. She was even able to handle them herself in the really, really shallow part. I took Sofie in a little too and although she loved feeling it on her legs, that was a far as she wanted to go!

Joy

Waiting for the waves!

We went back for some showers to try and get out the bucket of sand that has laid a beach in Livi's curls. Then we met up with our immediate family and Opa and DD/Grandpa and Grandma for lunch. Each family has a day to hang out with Grandma and Grandpa and today was our day so we did our meals with them.

Enjoying her Pink Panther

The afternoon was spent pool side! The kids, of course, loved it. Sofie is getting to be a real Pro in the water! She walked around the entire kiddie pool all by herself, with Gramma close behind. She has even started to venture out in to the open middle waters where she isn't holding on to anything. A lot of the time she sits on the side with her feet splashing in the water though. Uncle Tony and Auntie Lisa came and hung out at the pool for a while as well the youngest cousin (13 years old) who Livi is loving playing with!

Playing with Gramma at the pool!

Happiness

She found a seat... or a toilet.

That evening, after dinner with Opa and DD and once the girls were settled and sleeping, Mom/Gramma offered to stay in the room with the girls so Jon and I could go out on a date! We ended up walking around visiting a little and looking at some of the vendors that set up shops in the main areas in the evening at first. We found a bar overlooking the ocean and had a few drinks and a lovely chat before going for a romantic, moonlit stroll on the beach! Heaven :)

Day 4-

It was a little overcast today but still very warm and muggy. The only thing the lack of sun changed was the temperature of the pools. They weren't warmed up for us by the afternoon! We took our time with breakfast and did let Livi in the cold pool. She wasn't as eager this morning either but still had fun! Sofie went in a little but mostly just chilled on the side with us. We needed a down day.

Waking Daddy up!

Sofie has only napped once since being here and that is because I got the time mixed up and let her nap until 5:30pm the second day. Quiet times have been helping though. Vacationing with kids is not nearly as relaxing as I wish! I just want to sleep and relax but I'm always on the move. I'm loving seeing the joy on their faces though. Although Sofie's sleeping has suffered it is not terrible. We were expecting some side effects. Otherwise she is as happy as can be! Lots of laughter and playing! She is eating and drinking really well too! Livi hasn't been terrible either. She is a little bossy and has a lack of manners due to everyone just doing anything and everything for her, but that is what family who doesn't see her much is supposed to do, right!

Movie star

That evening I went out to a cousin gathering while Jon stayed in the room. It is hard to not be able to go to everything that is planned and since we are the only ones with kids people don't always think about the timings of things. Tonight worked out though. Jon wanted some alone time to read while the kids were sleeping and I got to go and drink with the cousins! It was quite epic. I witnessed what happens when you take a bunch of conservatively raised kids and let them loose at an all-inclusive in Mexico! I also got to have an inebriated yet enlightening and needed conversation with Jon's brother. I think we had to be inebriated in order to finally say what needed to be said. I'm hoping some more conversations come out of that involving more family members and maybe even some inebriated family counselling!

1 comments:

LeAnna said...

it sounds awesome! you can write a letter to my husband praising the all-inclusive, ok? :P