Monday, August 24, 2009

What's In a Name?

Welcome to my new blog!

Like I said in my old one, I needed to change the domain name because Bartel Baby Blog is only relevant for so long. My baby is fast becoming NOT a baby and with no new babies on the horizon I thought this domain address and name was a lot more fitting.

So, what was the inspiration for this blog name and domain? If you know me at all you'll know that Becoming Human by Jean Vanier is my favorite non-fiction book. (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is my favorite fiction. I am in love with Mr. Darcy.) Becoming Human describes what Vanier has learned about humanity through living with people with intellectual disabilities, those who are deemed weak, different or inferior and excluded. Vanier explores the idea that through adopting an inclusive spirit we can reach true freedom. This book has spoken to me in ways that no other book has. It was because of this book that I was able to move past the anger I held towards my dad and feel compassion for him. I can't recommend it enough. I hope to speak more about it and my experiences reading through it (again) in future blogs.

Good night for now and I'll be writing again soon!

"To be free is to know who we are, with all that is beautiful, all the brokenness in us; it is to love our own values, to embrace them, and to develop them; it is to be anchored in a vision and a truth but also to be open to others and, so, to change." - Jean Vanier

"We are simply human beings, enfolded in weakness and in hope" - Jean Vanier

0 comments: