Signs that she is ready are... While playing naked outside she stopped, said "uh oh", got in to the pool to pee, then got back out. She has asked to go on the toilet to "poo" numerous times, although she hasn't manage to do it on the toilet. She waited to do that in her diaper :) She stops and squats whenever she is peeing and pooping, while frequently telling up before or immediately right after she wets or soils herself. We are wasting diapers because she demands to be changed even when they are only a little bit wet! She also has become VERY fascinated with Mommy and Daddy using the toilet. Quite invasively fascinated actually... it's kind of creepy.
With all the tips, personal experiences, literature and gear out there I was a little overwhelmed. I think I've done enough research, without over doing it now and I have decided on my method... at least the method I'm going to start with before reality hits.
1. A potty seat that fits in to a regular toilet. I didn't want to get Livi her own little potty because I've heard that there can be an issue with transitioning children from their potties to a regular toilet. I didn't want to be dependent on a potty I have to lug around with me either. That seemed a little gross to me.
2. Big girl panties! I bought her the tiniest little panties I've ever seen! They are so cute. Curious George, Mickey and Minnie, and some princesses adorn them!
1. We are going cold turkey! From what I have read I figure it could get rather confusing if I use training pants that feel like diapers, so we are going to fully go to panties during the day.
2. Rewards! Or is it called bribery? I am going to have a little bowl of chocolate chips close at hand.to give as a prize, along with tons of praise, for going pee or poo on the toilet.
3. We are going to stay close to home and "her" toilet for the first few days at least, until she gets a better handle on it.
4. I'm going to move all the potty books and some toys in to the bathroom so we can play or read while we are waiting.
5. I'm going to give her TONS of praise and talk for trying to be a Big Girl! She really likes it when I give her big girl tasks to do.
6. I'm going to set up some routine times she will need to try and use the toilet. Probably right when she wakes up from night and her nap, 20 or 30 minutes after meals or snacks and before bed.
I think that's all I have. We'll see how we do. I'm a little scared but I think I'll get through it :) Wish me luck! I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions that have worked for you or your friends!