Friday, January 28, 2011

What's Next?

I don't have anything knew too say about the adoption but thought I would outline what we can expect in the next few months...

Even though we know who Sofie is, we don't yet have the legal proposal. Our Bulgarian and Canadian agencies have her file exclusively, so she can't be taken by any other family. We are currently waiting for the official proposal to come through all the legal channels of the Hague Convention. Once we accept it we are then waiting for a court date.

Court will take place in Bulgaria. Our Bulgarian agency will go on our behalf and there the Judge will hopefully finalize the adoption and issue an adoption order! She will then be ours! I think I can then publicly share her picture :) Anido then applies for her new Bulgarian birth certificate, passport and Canadian Citizenship. There will be a transit visa to go in her passport to get her to Canada. After this is all approved we can go get her!

The exact timeline is very dependent on how fast the Bulgarian MOJ act in getting our proposal through the Convention and how soon we get a court date. Pray that it is soon!!! The birth certificate, passport and Citizenship "shouldn't" take too long, but a little extra prayers for those would be great too :) We've been told 3-6 months altogether. I'm trying to gear myself up for the 6 month wait because nothing has been on the short side of the estimates yet. I can't help but hope that there is a first time for everything!

In other news... There is not really any news. We are just maintaining our routine. I think Livi is getting a little board with me since we haven't had many play dates or seen any non-family members. We have a few planned in the next month so that will be good for her. It is so hard when we don't have a car and live so far away from everyone!

I have been trying new dinner recipes and loving it! I'm not good at meal planning but have really been making an effort. We have definitely been saving money and are using up all the beans, rice and meat sitting in our cupboard and freezer. I'm also trying to eat a lot more vegetarian meals and loving it! It is much cheaper and we don't need to eat as much meat as our culture does regularly. I'm also loving all the spices I'm discovering. Jon is a little wary of my skills, especially when I venture from the recipe. I don't know what his problem is. I maintain that it usually works out :) If you have any fabulous recipes you'd like to share, send them over this way! Preferably easy and not too many ingredients.

4 comments:

Jaclyn_Rose said...

Just curious - how do you expect Sofie to adjust to being in an English speaking family??

LeAnna said...

I have tonnes of great recipes. I'll have a look through them for some of the more budget friendly ones.

Also, Rose Elliot has a very lovely cookbook (I think it's called The Bean Book) full of amazingly delicious bean recipes. They're budget friendly and generally super easy. I think it was published in the 80s so you might be able to find it in a used bookstore, although it's a UK book.

Katie said...

Jackie - I will probably answer this more in depth on the blog later but quickly... She isn't speaking yet so we aren't expecting it to be as difficult as it would be for a fully speaking 9 year old. Yes the change of language will be traumatic but there isn't too much we can do about that, short of learning Bulgarian. We do have a very informative CD that is teaching us practical Bulgarian words for play, nurturing, eating etc... The life saver is going to be sign language I think though. Especially since she has DS and may have speech issues, sign language should be able to be picked up a lot faster than verbal language for her and help her if people can't understand her fully as an adult.

Jaclyn_Rose said...

Cool - I was wondering if you were learning any bulgarian. Sign language is great - Finn still doesn't talk much, but he can sign 'please' 'more' and 'thank you'... those are nice... I wouldn't mind if he would sign 'all done' instead of just yelling though! haha